Katharine Davidson is the Chair of the Henderson, Caverly & Pum LLP International Private Client Practice and a member of its Estate Planning and Taxation Groups. Ms. Davidson has extensive experience representing high-net-worth individuals and their closely-held business interests and real property holdings in connection with income, estate and gift tax planning, wealth and business succession planning and international wealth transfer planning. She drafts complex estate plans and trusts and advises clients on buy-sell agreements, family-limited partnerships and LLCs. She also advises on the administration of trusts and estates and the operations of non-profit entities. Her practice also focuses on tax planning, structuring and related business advice, for a wide range of corporations, LLCs, partnerships, trusts and individuals in both domestic and international tax matters.
Ms. Davidson counsels foreign clients with respect to investments in the United States, pre-immigration planning, expatriation, the application of tax treaties, U.S. withholding obligations, offshore tax compliance, residency issues, and income, transfer tax and reporting obligations of aliens, both resident and nonresident, in the United States and California. She regularly advises U.S. entities and individuals who conduct business or own property abroad.
She also handles tax controversy matters, representing clients in audits, appeals and appearances before the IRS and U.S. Tax Court, as well as state and local taxing authorities. Ms. Davidson clerked for the Honorable Mary Ann Cohen of the United States Tax Court.
Ms. Davidson received her law degree from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, where she was Managing Editor of the Law Review and elected Order of the Coif. She received her bachelor’s degree from the University of Southern California, cum laude.
Ms. Davidson is a frequent speaker and author on topics involving cross-border and domestic tax and estate planning.
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America guide: Tax, 2006-2016; Trusts and Estates, 2013-2016; Litigation & Controversy – Tax, 2011-2016; Women in Law: Top Peer Nominated Lawyers, 2016; Lawyer of the Year, Litigation and Controversy – Tax (2014, Los Angeles)
- STEP Founder’s Award 2016
- International Who’s Who, Legal – Private Client Lawyers, 2013-2017
- Southern California Super Lawyers, 2004-2013
- San Diego Super Lawyers, 2015-2016
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers, July 2009
- Martindale Hubbell – AV Preeminent Rated 5.0 out of 5 (Rated, AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5, AV, BV and BV Distinguished are registered marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies)
- Order of the Coif
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Chair, STEP U.S.A, Chair and Founding Member, STEP Los Angeles
- American Bar Association, Taxation Section, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), Fellow, International Estate Planning Committee, Business Planning Committee
- State Bar of California, Taxation Section, Member, Former Member of Executive Committee
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Taxation Section, Member, Chair 1999-2000
- Association of Tax Counsel of Los Angeles, Member
- Los Angeles International Tax Club, Member
- Loyola Law School LLM Taxation Program, Advisory Board
- Angeles Girl Scout Council, Former Member of Board of Directors